At business-monitor.ch we are hiring a Ruby on Rails developer to integrate our fully remote team. We are looking for an experienced developer to work on business-monitor.ch and other Rails-based data-intensive products using technologies such as Elasticsearch, Sidekiq, and Ruby-driven web data extraction.
We build products that provide aggregated data to help Swiss companies manage risk and grow efficiently. Our offer includes our flagship product business-monitor.ch as well as some niche products.
As a small, fully remote team, spread across Switzerland and Portugal, we connect by sharing values such as truth and kindness, commitment and responsibility, curiosity and pragmatism. With such a foundation, we allow our differences to enrich us, instead of causing friction.
To build our products we use Ruby on Rails — obviously! — along with other tools like:
- Elasticsearch, for our search engines;
- Sidekiq for running lots background jobs to collect and process data;
- PostgreSQL, as our main data storage tech.
We collect data by connecting to various types of APIs and by extracting publicly available information from the Web. All of this using Ruby.
About the job
The main responsibilities of our engineering team are:
- maintain our extensive codebase;
- respond to bug reports;
- develop new features and new products.
You'd take part of this effort while:
- being encouraged to contribute towards making our code better, not just shipping out features as fast as you can;
- closely discussing and implementing solutions with the rest of the team.
As a member of a small team, your work will be significant and important to better serve our clients.
We are looking for someone who is a generalist Ruby on Rails developer with a knack for learning new tools and techniques to complement proven ones.
It's important that you:
- are familiar with Rails, Ruby and all the bits and pieces that the web is all about;
- like to write simple code;
- are able to clearly communicate in English;
- work with a 4 hour overlap with business hours in Western European Time.
It'd be nice if you have experience with some of the tools we use, such as:
How to apply
If you're interested reach out by sending us some paragraphs about you and your work experience — cover letter plus a CV is fine, but any written format will do —, and we'll go from there.